Saturday, August 27, 2016

Corbett Hill Road - Through the Seasons

I have a favorite road in Corbett that I consider "my spot".  I live high on the bluff of the Columbia River Gorge.  Mornings, as I descend from the bluffs, the road makes twists and turns to navigate from the forested bluffs to the base of the Gorge where the Columbia river flows towards the sea.  As I turn the last curve in the descent I see "my spot".  Every morning I look forward to the shadows, the colors, the foliage, the sunlight.  Every morning it is different and BEAUTIFUL.  No matter the season, no matter the time of day the beauty makes me pause.

I've painted this view many times.  These are my latest paintings.  Let me tell you about them.

 The painting above was my first plen aire painting of this curve in the road.  It is a morning light painting with the sun shining from the right (east).  Two roads merge here.  One country lane merges high on the right and swoops down to connect with the road curving up from the river and continuing west up the bluff to the next switchback.  I feel good about this painting.  It is a lovely painting yet I wanted to try again and capture more of the feeling of this spot.  So I painted it again.


This version captures the moody feel.  I like both paintings.  Hope you do too.


Just for fun here are some other versions of Corbett Hill Road paintings in acrylic at different seasons of the year.
 Corbett Hill in Autumn

 Corbett Hill in Autumn


Corbett Hill in Winter